Sunday, April 6, 2014

March 11

Holy guacamole where has the time gone??? I'm almost done with my first transfer! Sister Raymer and I are hoping she gets to stay, but we'll just have to see :P

I've noticed that the sunrises and sunsets are absolutely GORGEOUS here! Sister Raymer and I chased the sunrise this morning and snapped a few pics :)
 
 
The weather here has been improving! 60 degrees! It's so balmy! I'm shedding of the layers of jackets and sweaters! Spoken like a true Washintonian.
 

A lot of people ask me where I'm from and I always say Seattle because who's gonna know about cow-town Carnation? I've met very few people who know where that is. When I say Seattle they're always like "Ooohh, Super Bowl champs...." and I'm like "Yep, that's right!!!! Seattle pride!!!!!" >:D

I've been doing really well and improving a lot. I had a moment this week where I was really down on myself and just didn't want to do anything because I was feeling so upset. I had this nagging voice in the back of my head saying I should be doing this and doing that, but I ignored it because I was so frustrated. Then I said a prayer. I felt really bad for feeling sorry for myself when people need my help and for being so prideful, so I asked Heavenly Father for forgiveness. I told Him I was sorry that I lacked the mental strength to give of myself and prayed that the Atonement would make up for that. After my prayer, a gentle voice came into my mind saying, "It's alright Sister Candland.... Shaini, I love you." I felt a strong sense of peace overcome me and I began to cry tears of relief. After a moment, I had another thought come into my head. "Okay Sister Candland, you're alright now. It's time to get to work." These words did not bring me stress like the nagging one before. They reasurred me that I CAN do this, that everything's going to work out, and that the Lord would help me every step of the way. I know that He wants to bless us, but we need to change and come unto Him with a broken heart and contrite spirit in order for His blessings to flow.

Other than that, this week has been pretty mellow. I'm starting to really get into the flow of things and I feel like I know a little more of what I'm doing, although there are still awkward moments. I've been told by the more experienced missionaries that the awkwardness never really goes away. One of our zone leaders actually told us that you should approach people ESPECIALLY when it's awkward! Better learn to embrace it.

We haven't really had a lot of progress with our investigators. We can't even seem to get them to read 1 verse. We've challenged this to some adults to do this and their getting smoked by a little 9-year-old boy named Zack! He rocks my socks!!!! We asked him why he wanted to learn from us and he said, "I just want to learn more about Jesus and to do the right thing." It was the most adorable thing I've ever heard! He's been faithfully reading out of his children's Book of Mormon and he finished it! He prays every night and he wants to get baptized! His baptismal date is set for the end of this month :) 

This last week Sister Raymer and I went to a wedding and met this woman named Amy, who was the photographer. We got to talk to her for awhile and she ended up telling us her whole life's story. We told her about the church and how we believe that families can be together forever and that the Gospel of Jesus Christ can bring us peace. She was so touched by what we said and she said she "felt like she was home." She really wants to find a church where she can belong and she already believes that it's the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. She actually showed up one day at the Visitors Center and asked one of the sisters "I've got 10 minutes. Can you tell me more about your church?" She's been chatting with us over email at the VC and some other sisters in Salt Lake. We've got an appointment with her on Sunday at a members home and we're so excited! She is such a wonderful lady!
Anyways, sorry for the last few weeks again. Being a missionary is crazy! Crazy AWESOME! I got the chance to write Kortney and Rylee letters so expect to see something from me in the mail :) Until next week!

Hermana Candland

No comments:

Post a Comment