Sunday, February 9, 2014

January 22

I just went to temple square in Mexico City today and it was pretty cool. We can´t take temple trips anymore since the temple is under construction. 

Me, my companions, and our teacher Hermana Faces at the Christus :)
 
 
One of the dorkiest Elders in my district (Elder Steed) riding one of the bikes they show in "Nacho Libre"

 
My hilarious district at the Visitors Center!
 
 
So for one of the meals we had this thing called a tamale. It was really good, but everyone was totally shocked that I had never had one before. Basically what it is is corn meal, sauce, and meat, wrapped in leaves and boiled. Dad, you should figure out a way to make this, otherwise our reputation of cultural food making will be tainted.

 So we´ve had a few laughs this week. One night in our casa (house) we hear this *knock* *knock* "...Hermana...? Our room is flooded." Apparently the shower doesn´t drain very well in their room and it flooded all the way our into the bedroom pretty deep. We called reception and they´re like, "Oh, sorry. Anyone that could help you with that isn´t here right now, but we´ll report it." It was pretty crazy.

Another time this week we had to teach a brand new practice investigator and we had no warning. We decided to teach about The Book of Mormon, so I tried sharing an analogy that Bednar had shared in a devotional. Basically what it says is that there´s a "board of all that is true," and how with one nail (the Bible), the board of truth could be twisted and turned, but with another nail (the Book of Mormon) it could´t be moved. Well I tried explaining that in Spanish, not having any time to prepare, and he thought I was talking about driving a nail through the Bible. He´s like, "Oh, ¡¿le gusta Satanas?!" You guys like Satan?! We tried explaining it again and he keeps on doing the rock ´n roll thing with his hand and going "¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡Yeeeaaaahhh Satanaaaaaasssss!!!!!!!" Not our best lesson to say the least.

During lunch yesterday, this kid comes up to me and asks how to say Millennium Falcon in Spanish. I didn´t know, so I asked my teacher and he said it was Halcon Mileniar. The reason he asked was because one of the rolls they have for dinner looked like the Milennium Falcon. 

One day during dinner they served wings, so my district decided to have a wing eating contest. It was gross. I should´ve gotten a picture of the pile of bones. It was pretty disgusting. 

Poor Hermana Laycock got pretty sick this week (not from the wing eating contest however), so we brought her some food during meal time and we built her a "cave of death."
 

For gym time this week we´ve been playing lightening and I did so well! We shot from the 3 point line and I made 5 shots in a row! I was able to beat a lot of the guys :)

Our Spanish teacher is soooooo funny. His name is Hermano Gallegos, but we like to call him Abu because he reminds us of Abu from Aladdin. The other day he was walking through the hallway singing "Come on, vaminos! Everybody let´s go! Come on let´s get to it! I know that we can do it!"


Take care!
Hermana Candland

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment